Having been led of the Lord, as we believe, to maintain a testimony for Him in Knoxville, Tennessee, and realizing the need for a constitution to guide in business affairs of the church, we the members of Berean Bible Church in Knoxville, Tennessee adopt the following as our constitution.
Article 1 – NAME
The name of this church shall be Berean Bible Church of Knoxville, Tennessee.
Article 2 – PURPOSE
The purpose of this church is to glorify God through obedience to His Word in the edification of believers and the evangelization of the lost in cooperation with Christian activity functioning in harmony with the Word of God.
Article 3 – STATEMENT OF FAITH
(see “Statement of Faith”)
Article 4 – CHURCH GOVERNMENT
- In recognition of the fact that Christ is the Head of the Church (Eph. 5:23) and the inerrant Word of God is the sole authority for faith and practice, Berean Bible Church is neither accountable to nor under the jurisdiction of any other ecclesiastical body.
- In further recognition of the fact that the Holy Spirit of God indwells each member of the Church, Berean Bible Church shall be governed by its own membership.
- As the need arises to govern itself more effectively the members may appoint the necessary and Scripturally qualified men to oversee the spiritual and temporal needs of the congregation according to the Biblical guidelines for edification and discipline. These men rule by the consent of the congregation, but are responsible to God for the decisions of the church (Heb. 13:17; 1 Peter 5:1-5; Eph. 5:21; 1 Tim. 5:17; 3:5; 1 Thess. 5:12; Acts 20:28; Acts 15:4-22). Decisions regarding policy and practice of the church must be made by the unanimous consent of the ruling body and the majority consent of the congregation.
Article 5 – MEMBERSHIP
- In accordance with the objectives stated in Article 2, fellowship and worship are open to all sincere believers in our Lord Jesus Christ who are walking decently and in order (1 Cor. 14:40).
- In order to meet the regulations of the civil authority for the holding of property and for the receiving and distributing of contributions, Berean Bible Church recognizes church membership. Voting rights of the church are limited to its members.
- Applicants for membership must satisfy the governing board as to their Scriptural qualifications for membership and be approved by a majority vote of the congregation.
Article 6 – AMENDMENTS
This constitution may be amended only by a three-fourths (3/4) majority of all members in good standing.
Article 7 – DISSOLUTION
Berean Bible Church may be dissolved only by the unanimous consent of all members in good standing at the time such dissolution is proposed. In such event, the unanimous consent of all members in good standing will be required to dispose of church property and assets after all liabilities and commitments have been met.